Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Review Day - A Bride Sews With Love by Erica Vetsch

The lovely, Erica Vetsch
I’m excited to finally be posting my review of A Bride Sews With Love in Needles,California by Erica Vetsch. I owe her no shortage of apologies for taking so long in completing this task. I assure you, the delay has nothing to do with the delightful story that Erica penned, rather the fault is my own, paired with the busyness of my December.

A Bride Sews With Love is the story of Meghan and Caleb during WWI. Meghan is a young, impetuous, and devastatingly loyal patriot that’s newly hired on as a Harvey Girl in the desert town of Needles, CA. Caleb is a withdrawn and dashing rouge that trains horses for the military, with plenty of secrets in his past.

Right from the start an antagonist, in the form of Meghan’s boss, makes her appearance, and succeeds in moving the story along at a brisk pace. I found myself waiting for the moment of revenge or pay-back for the filthy bitterness she spewed wherever she went. Surly a pie in the face could have been worked in there somewhere, no? But Vetsch instead teaches us some grace, forgiveness, and compassion through this character.

Apart from the sweet storyline itself, I was amazed by how aptly the author wove in details of the time period, the Harvey company, and facts about WWI. It was an enjoyable read that never once felt like a history book. And yet I feel as though I learned quite a bit.

Another thing that pleasantly surprised me were the twists and surprises. Every now and then a romance novel can feel a tad repetitive compared to other titles. I’m happy to say that A Bride Sews With Love is truly unique. There were at least three twists (yes, I counted) that came out of left field for me. A sure sign of a talented and capable writer! 

The love is sweet, the fights are fraught with tension, sympathy runs rampant and the kisses…well, those don’t disappoint either!

If historicals are your thing, you must read A Bride SewsWith Love!

I have a fun, (BIG) surprise giveaway for one lucky commenter today. Simply answer this question in the comments to be entered: If you lived during WWI, would you rather have been a nurse in a military hospital or a Harvey Girl stationed somewhere in the states? And why? 

Share with me: Have you read this book? What did you think of that mean ole Mrs. Gregory? :) If you haven't read Erica's book yet, might I suggest you add it to your to-be-read pile?

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I saw it on your great books of 2012 list! Yes, yes, yes!! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great book! And yeah, um, I could never be a nurse, so I'd definitely have to be a Harvey Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would be a nurse because I like action!! But I wouldn't mind being a Harvey Girl either!

    I haven't read any books by Erica, but they sure look awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marissa! Erica's books are so much fun! :) She's a great storyteller!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read the book YET, so I don't really know what a Harvey girl did, but I'm sure I wouldn't have it in me to be a nurse. I turn pale at open wounds. And is it bad I don't know what a Harvey girl is? I guess I could have Googled it and sounded smarter. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! A Harvey Girl was a waitress. But not just any waitress...the cleanest, most polite, most dignified and poised waitress around. I don't think I would have been hired. ;)

      Delete
  5. I do love Historical reads.

    I was trained as a nurse, albeit it with Maternity & children as my specialty. I would be a nurse during WWII - horrific though I think.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an esteemed career you chose, Mary! My sister is a nurse in the NICU, and the stories she shares are enough to break my heart. If I worked there, I'm sure I'd have about a dozen babies coming home with me at the end of every shift. :)

      Thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete
  6. would love to read this story...and i would rather be a nurse :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts too!