Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Hunger Games - One More Day

If you've been counting down the days until The Hunger Games movie is released - like I have - tomorrow is IT! It's finally here!

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I've watched interviews with the actors and the trailers numerous times trying to pick up on more details inside the movie. I'm a bit crazed.

I can't wait! I've got my tickets safely purchased and tucked away for my date night tomorrow with my man. Good times! (Which means, he'll probably fall asleep in the theater and I'll get all the popcorn. :) He's not a big movie guy. And he hasn't read the books, so I love that he's taking me to see the movie on opening night...)

Anyway, there is just something about these books! I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly why they are so awesome. Is it the constant threat of death? Is it the unfathomable circumstances that makes you ask yourself "What would I do"? Is it the love triangle? Is it the picture Suzanne Collins paints of a future world?

What is it?

At least once a week, me and at least three or four other 30-something mommy's meet up for "play dates". Yes, for our kids. But for us too! And today's conversation, which usually centers around our kindergarteners' reading levels or who's hosting the next big BBQ, was instead focused on The Hunger Games. Go figure. Two of them confessed to "not being readers" but said they "read the first book in days".

So whatever magic Ms. Collins sprinkled into her stories...it's working!!

Share with me: What is up with The Hunger Games? Why are they so popular? What drew you in? And for the love of Pete (whoever that is), which hero were you rooting for, Gale or Peeta? 

9 comments:

  1. I am excited to see it too! I think I root for her and am drawn in because she's a great character. Not arrogant, but willing to fight for who she loves. Soft-hearted but able to be tough when needed.

    And who doesn't love a boy who'll risk a slap upside the head to protect a girl he loves and then fight for her as much as himself.

    Part of me saw the book as a mother. I can't imagine my children in that kind of circumstance, so my heart reached out to her, Peeta and even Rue. I think we all love bravery. Can't. Wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, for me it was all about Katniss...creating that all-powerful character empathy.

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the book yesterday. I know, I know. I'm behind. I usually don't like violence in my reading, but this book is so good! I'm a little over half way through. I keep highlighting and emailing myself lines from the book. She is such an amazing writer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, oh dear. I bough the book on my Kindle months ago and kept saying I'd read it before the movie comes out. Ummm...I'm down to one day. Eek!! I should've stayed home from work today to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started reading it the other day. I'm loving Katniss...great character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Lacie. Just found your blog. And I'm totally with you! So excited for tomorrow. Like others have said, Katniss totally makes the book. So honest and flawed, yet there is something so deep about her. Her loyalty is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. all I know is I dreamt last night that I was hiding in treetops and skewering people with really sharp, medieval knives. I woke up feeling a bit empowered. Should that concern me? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read the books, but my daughter has and loved them! I'm usually five years behind everything. It's pathetic, really!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geez, Louise, I realize I'm seriously late to this post, but I have to ask-- did you like the 3rd book???

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts too!