Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Genesis Contest


I finally clicked submit.

I have been agonizing about whether or not I should send in my work. I have been praying for readiness and timing. I have been researching the how-to's of synopsis writing. I have been biting my nails in uncertainty.

I finally got to a place where I was able to say, "this is all I can do on my own."

ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) organizes a well known writing competition for unpublished authors. The deadline for this competition is Friday -- talk about a last minute entry. But I received my confirmation email yesterday. My entry is there safe and sound.

I'm still in that place of awe and excitement that I actually entered my writing and that I made the deadline. Now the waiting and wondering begins. Here are some of my jumbled thoughts:

- I wonder who will be reading what I wrote?
- I hope they don't say "this entry is easily the worst."
- I hope my grammar is accurate.
- I pray no one laughs. (I didn't write a comedy.)
- Do I have what it takes to win?

Possible worst case = My submission receives the worst possible score but I get a critique and feedback from the judges.

Possible best case = I final in my category, land an agent and a book contract all in the same day, while having a great hair day! (Here's to wishing and hoping.)

Have any of you entered the Genesis (or any other) contest? What was the outcome? What did you learn from the experience? Any first-timers, like me, out there?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lacie - I did enter the Genesis. I entered THREE (yes, three) in '09. I didn't final, but that very same year, I landed agent, Rachelle Gardner. I entered again in '10. Didn't final again, but that very same year, I landed a 2-book deal with Waterbrook Multnomah. All this to say - finaling isn't everything. I got awesome feedback from the judges, made the necessary changes, and was able to get my manuscripts nice and shiny in time for the conference, where I pitched my stuff face-to-face with agents/editors. So your decision to enter was a super wise and brave one!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts too!