Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Helpful Tips

Today I am supposed to post something personal or family related but I just finished reading an article in my March/April Writer's Digest magazine and I had to share the brilliance.

The article is titled 50 Simple Ways to Build Your Platform in 5 Minutes a Day by Christina Katz. Have any other writers out there read this article? I loved it and found it to be very helpful. Here are a few of my favorite suggestions:

#12 on the list - Brainstorm 20 Ideas. I've heard this suggested before when it comes to blogging topics or any writing topic for that matter. I always love it...and I never do it. Why do the simple things never get done? The article suggests that for five minutes a day we sit with a notebook and "drain your brain" of its ideas. That way when we need a blog topic or a new sub-plot or a unique character name, all our random but wonderful ideas are sitting, patiently waiting for us in our journals.

#27 on the list - Say Thanks. For the record...I appreciate everyone that reads the things I write. I appreciate those of you that take the time to respond. I appreciate those of you that have taken the time to give me encouragement or guidance, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant. This journey is scary and unfamiliar. Your presence makes it easier. THANKS!

#41 on the list - Round Up Resources. Find great books or websites and post them on your blogs for others to take advantage of. I personally haven't done this yet but I've scoured many other blogs and have used their links and resources to find what I'm looking for. It's been invaluable to my journey.

#42 on the list - Boost Others. Helping to get the word out about an upcoming book release or writing a review for someone or just being a friendly face in the crowd goes a long way to encourage or to lift up someone you may or may not know personally. After all, helping others is never a bad choice.

#50 on the list - Break Out of Your Box. Don't just create the expected or the usual. Try something new with your writing style or your blog. Heck, even your parenting, your wardrobe, etc. This tip applies to life in general. Especially for people like me that love routines and the safety of the known. Try something new and risky...it might just pay off.

All 50 of the tips were very helpful. Find and read this article! =)

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts too!