Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Have any of you seen this old movie? Most people haven't. Most people think it was made way too long ago and thereby should be forgotten about. After all there are no big blow-up scenes, no sensuously charged sex scenes, no in-your-face comedy. It is just good ole fun.

However, I grew up on it. My sisters and I used to rent it from our local library...way before DVD's and Netflix were around. We would memorize the script, the songs and yes, even the dancing. To this day, I can recite the first twenty minutes of the film without thinking twice. As kids, we would even go so far as to act out certain scenes, tying old bed sheets around our waists to symbolize the long flowing skirts.

What fun we used to have with this movie. What safe and comforting memories are attached to it still...even as I sit here typing this out, slightly embarrassed about admitting the things we used to do. There's just something about a good ole fashioned musical with twirling skirts and men fighting for the women they love. A great piece of cinema if you ask me!

Of course I had to pass along the tradition. So the other day I opened up a box that had bold, black letters all over it that read AMAZON.COM. We love to open new packages in our house - it is a family event. We all sit around and ooh and ahh over the contents. This time was no different. My kids were very excited about a new movie or maybe just because mommy was squealing like a child herself. I'm not sure which. I admit to putting the movie on that day with a bit of apprehension. What if they didn't like it? I really wanted them to love it like I did as a child...

Thankfully, they DO! Actually my daughter has watched it at least once every day since we opened the box. I am now able to quote the first forty minutes of the movie without blinking...and I love it!

Goodness reigns!

(As a side note: I feel compelled to inform you all that my husband has major problems with this movie. First of all, it's a musical. He makes it a point to make manly comments about the "silly men dancing" whenever he finds our son watching it. And second, there is the "kidnapping" issue which he loves to pounce upon, probably because I equate this movie with "the good ole days".)

If you haven't seen this movie, I encourage you to get it! It's wonderful family fun. If you have seen it...please tell me what you love (or didn't love) about it. Do you have a favorite old movie that brings you back to your childhood?

2 comments:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this movie!

    Thank you for dropping by my blog and 'de-lurking' to leave a comment. :) Made my day!

    Re 7B47B...Is there a more manly voice than Howard Keel? And all those redheads! Sa-woon!

    The one song I don't usually watch is the one where they are on their way to the farm for the first time and they stop and she runs around on the hillsides. I'm always too eager to get to the scene where she first realizes what being married to Adam entails...all the brothers and the laundry and the cooking and cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Erica. It's nice to know that someone else out there shares my affinity for sweet romance, which sometimes includes a manly cowboy whisking his lady around a barn floor.

    Oh yes, sa-woon is right. Benjamin was always my personal fav!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts too!